Tuesday, November 13, 2012

the sunny side returns

It has been far too long, and my life has been (generally) far too sunny to excuse my extended absence from my blog.  The main reason is that it took about a month and a half for me to get my own internet service in my apartment, so my online activities were rather limited.  In that time, I did get hooked on Big Bang Theory (love still having Midd borrowing privileges), and am all caught up!  Mostly, though, I was too busy with work at the lab and coaching to do a lot of other stuff.  Some random bullet points to sum up my life:

-I got a smartphone!  My old phone was 2+ years old and gradually stopped working, so now I am the proud owner of a Droid Incredible.  I love being able to take really good pictures with my phone, and having internet access - 4G nonetheless - has also been pretty wonderful so far.  I'm trying not to become too obsessed with it, but all the stuff you can do with a new phone is amazing.  Also, I have previously been rather anti-Instagram, but it's actually kind of fun...

-First season of crew coaching down!  Being a coach was simultaneously: thrilling, exhausting, frustrating, fun, etc.  It's so cool to see the transformation from complete beginner to somewhat competent, and watching my boats compete at the Head of the Fish a couple weeks ago was wonderful.  I'm so much more nervous for races as a coach then I was as a rower, but I'm still excited for the spring.  That being said, I'm also looking forward to a little more free time over the winter.

-Recently discovered: Songza, a cool app that I downloaded to my phone, but also a website.  It's sort of like Pandora, but it has a feature that suggests themes for stations based on the day of the week and the time of day.  I've been enjoying it so far...always on the lookout for good lab music options. 

-I am starting to knit a pair of socks, which I have done a few times, but with a pattern where you knit both at the same time!  I usually don't have too much of a problem with finishing knitting projects, but I think this is a cool idea.  I'm so excited it's knitting season once again!

-One last thing.  I just started reading "The Art of Happiness," a book co-written by the Dalai Lama and a psychiatrist, and I can tell it's going to be just the boost of happiness I need.  I'm only 15 pages in, but it's definitely already helping me realize my problems are pretty insignificant and that life is way too precious to dwell on the bad stuff.  So, here's to living each day like it's the last, taking the time to tell people how much they mean to me, and embracing the present.  Because, after all, you only live once, YOLO.  Live, love, laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment