Thursday, June 21, 2012

food!


Yakitori
My elegant plating :)
Though the sunny side generally isn't a food blog, I wanted to share a few pictures from my latest cooking adventures.  Usually, I cook about once a week when I'm at home, but I'm not the most adventurous and kind of prefer to perfect a couple recipes.  This week, however, I branched out and tried a recipe for Yakitori from my mom's "The Best of Cooking Light, Everyday Favorites."  It was basically Asian-style chicken kabobs, marinated in a really good soy sauce/sake/ginger/garlic/sugar/red pepper mixture.  With assistance from my dad, we grilled them, and it was pretty delicious if I do say so myself.

On the menu for tomorrow night is a salad with:
-leafy greens
-grilled chicken
-goat cheese
-candied pecans
-blackberries
-dried cranberries
-balsamic dressing
I really like good salads so I'm looking forward to this one.

It has been really hot in Maine for the past two days, but I couldn't resist making some sweets.  NO BAKE COOKIES!!  And it just involved the stove, not the oven, so it didn't heat up our house too much.

In other news, I swam in the ocean for the first time this year on Wednesday.  It was a record-breaking 93 degrees in Portland, so a quick dip in the Atlantic was a nice way to beat the heat.  I'm excited to go a lot more before the end of the summer.  I also checked out a Sony ereader from our local public library.  I have been surprised by how much I like reading on it, and even though I love physical books, I might get one eventually.

It's off to the Sea Dogs, but happy second day of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment