Monday, February 21, 2011

A Cold and Blustery Saturday

This weekend is Winter Carnival at Middlebury. It's a fun and festive time, with lots of events and ski racing! I spent most of Saturday at the Snowbowl gatekeeping for the alpine races. If you've never done it before, it's not very fun. Basically you stand on the side of the mountain for 2+ hours making sure the racers go through your gates, quickly run back down and defrost, then repeat. This time, it was especially cold and windy, making for a long day. Why, you may ask, is this on the sunny side blog? Well, to keep myself motivated and somewhat happy I kept thinking about a warm maple steamer from Otter Creek Bakery! (http://www.ottercreekbakery.com/home.php) Pretty much the most delicious drink ever.

Motivation in the form of food is a common theme in my life. In high school, I would bring a cookie or other treat to nordic ski races and push myself up hills by dreaming about the reward waiting at the finish. Sundae Sundays, Falafel night, no-bake cookies, and chocolate chip banana muffins are some of my Midd faves. It's a good morale-booster, in my opinion.

On another note, I don't know how many people tuned into the Grammy's, but I'm a big fan of Lady Gaga's new song, Born This Way. Her performance was pretty impressive, and I think the song has a good message. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0N7JM3wZk.

I know I'm feeling the stress of the semester starting, and I really appreciate all the kind words of my friends. Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment